For many people, the most compelling aspect of working at UMIST is the sense of mission and community that permeates every school, department, program, and organization on campus. It’s a vibrant crucible of intellectual activity, research, knowledge creation, learning, and teaching. Here, results matter and creativity flourishes. We’re united by a culture that strives for excellence, but also supports us in our work.
The mission of the University of Manchester is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning, and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The University’s core values are as follows:
- freedom of thought and expression
- freedom from discrimination
- the encouragement of a questioning spirit
- an extensive range of academic subjects in all major subject groups
- quality and depth of provision across all subjects
- the close inter-relationship between teaching, scholarship, and research
- strong support for individual researchers as well as research groups
- residence in Cambridge as central to most courses
- education which enhances the ability of students to learn throughout life